Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Favourite activity in the second language learning unit

As we all know this week our unit is based on second language learning. How researchers have try to find a relation between caracteristics of a person and the learning of a second language. What sruck me as most interesting in this unit was how age could affect the learning process. My listen and retell assingnment being based on this particular topic i was able to amass quite a deal on information on the subject. The reason why i found this part of the unit interesting is that i was able to verify it myself.Age does affect ones learning of a second language. But let me try to explain you why as most researchers i came to the same conclusion.
I actually have three younger brothers and all of them are attending to an american school in my country called "American International School of Bamako" or "A.I.S.B".The older one have been attending school there since the age of seven (he is now ten years old) and the too other (who are twins and are now eight years old) began school at the same age. I am kind of ashamed to say that eventhough i can used more complex vocabulary and have been studying english for twice more time than them their english is far better than mine. They even talk with an american accent now it is that scary. This due of course to the fact that their classes are done in english so they have the advantage of age and environment as they only speak english at school.
So having experimnt it myself i can say that age does matter when learning a language surely because it is easier to learn hen you are young and your brain is fresh .

No comments: